Hosts: Ciara and Ludacris
Let’s run this back.
I read on social media that a decent amount of people didn’t like the performances or maybe the majority of the performers, but I didn’t mind MOST of them. It could be because I’m familiar with most of the artists or at least their songs because I have a preteen who is a pop music fiend and the future Mrs. Bieber. I digress. Here it is in a nutshell:
- The cameraman was extra petty for showing Rihanna’s reactions to Ciara and The Weeknd.
- Britney Spears opened the show. It was a classic Britney performance. Take that however you want.
- The Weeknd won all the awards except a few. (Adele won those.) When shown in the audience, he looked underwhelmed (as usual).
- My fantasy of Nick Jonas was ruined because of the cameraman who zoomed in on his mouth for a good bit of his performance. WTF??? I had no idea his teeth were in shambles. Jesus, be an emergency set of braces.
- Joe Jonas sounded great live, singing with DNCE. He even went out into the audience and did the “excuse me-pardon me” as he walked through rows of startled fans. I guess he was feelin’ it.
- Pink performed her new single, and once again took to the air with her acrobatics. It was amazing when I saw her do this years ago. This time? Eh. We get it, Pink. You like to swing from fabric and cords and such. She actually made me nervous a few times; especially when she was near the fire at the end. Justin Bieber’s face during her performance was priceless.
- Fifth Harmony performed “Work.” I appreciated that they sang live.
- Meghan Trainor performed “No.” (That’s my shxt, BTW.) ANDDDDD, she did NOT fall.
- Justin (Bieber) performed my favorite song from his new album (“Company.”) and “Sorry.” He also won Top Male Artist.
- Gwen & Blake sang their duet and stared at each other the whole time. Something was off with her makeup. She looked plastic.
- Kesha performed. Bravo to her for bravery. I wasn’t feeling her, though.
- Adele premiered her video for “Send My Love (To Your New Lover).” That’s my jam, but watching the video made me feel like somebody slipped me a mickey, put me on an old school merry-go-round (from my childhood playgrounds), and had Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant spin the hell out of it.
- RIHANNA!!!! (Yes, I’m screaming.) She performed “Love on the Brain” and killed it. She also won the Chart Achievement Award.
- Celine Dion performed “The Show Must Go On.” Bless
- And of course, as the majority of us predicted, Madonna did the Prince tribute… and it SUCKED. She brought Stevie Wonder out, and that was a NOPE for me as well. I would’ve appreciated it more if she would have sung “Let’s Go Crazy,” “1999,” and “Get Off” <– ass cheeks out
and all. THAT’S the Madonna tribute to Prince I would have appreciated.
All in all, I enjoyed the show. I knew almost every song and award winner. Bravo, Billboard!