It’s been a while, but I’m still around. Don’t get it twisted!
I won’t bore you with a long intro. Let’s run this thing back.
- One time for Kelly Clarkson KILLING the opening. (Her speech about Texas AND her musical medley) She was this year’s host.
- Ariana Grande still impresses with her vocals. I was more impressed this year, though, because I could understand 94.2% of her lyrics. One time for articulation!
- Khalid won best new artist. He’s cool, but I’m not sure I agree.
- 21 Savage looked pissed much of the night. After he won, he gave us 21 smirks, though.
- Ciara kept pronouncing “women” the way most pronounce “woman,” and it made my soul itch.
- Christina Aguilera and Demi Lovato sang a duet. It was cool until Demi hit some miscellaneous notes. I’ll chalk it up to her nerves. She was singing with Christina, who still has IT.
- John Legend performed, and gave us interesting hip action in his tight white pants.
- J-Lo performed her new song, “Dinero” with DJ Khaled’s hollerin’ self. She walked on her dancers’ hands as they suspended her in the air. Cardi B accompanied her on the big screen.
- I REALLY hoped she would come out in tribute to Janet and dance to “That’s the Way Love Goes.”
- But let’s talk about how Janet K-I-L-L-E-D the stage per usual. I could have used more old music, but I still grinned the entire time she performed.
- Katherine and Reebie sat proudly in the audience and smiled proudly as she became the first African-American woman to receive the Billboard Icon Award.
- Call me greedy, but I wanted more. She is an icon. She has too many hits to count. I needed a song per album…minimum. I needed a tribute. Ciara was there, damnit.
- Camila took us to Havana. The way she kept poppin’ and such, I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t need a hip replacement at age 55. But carry on, girl!
- This Korean boy group/band named BTS caused an uproar among the girls in the crowd when they performed. I have never heard of them until tonight, and all I could think while they performed was, “What in the NSync meets Gucci Mane is happening here??? What in the appropriated hell am I witnessing???” I’m still waiting for an answer.
- Now I wonder what BTS means. “Black today! Shiiiiit” “Back to Sleep” “Blacker Than Some” “Buy the Shirt” ??? Somebody help.
- Salt, sal-salt, Salt-N-Pepa’s here!!!! Well, they were. And they did their thing. They shooped, pushed it, talked about sex, and talked about a mighty good man. (Did Salt say she didn’t have one yet? I need to hear that part again.) EnVogue 3.0 joined them on-stage. Kelly Clarkson even came out at the very end and sang a bit before she closed the show.
- This year’s show was pretty cool. I’m an 80’s baby, so I appreciated Janet and Salt-N-Pepa/EnVogue most. Until next year!
P.S. Taylor Swift won some awards, too. Nothing new.